Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Week 10

Hola!

I'm finally out in the real world - Argentina and I can't believe it. I love it!
Well I guess a quick recap of how I got here is in order. We left the MTC at 6am on Friday and took a flight to Georgia. Then the next flight was to Buenos Aires, Argentina. That means 12 hours on a plane. Long time to try and sleep. Then in Buenos Aires we were driven by different people to the domestic airport for our flight to Cordoba which left at 5:30pm. So we had our first meal there in the airport of pizza. Which was very good and different than the American pizza.
Once in Cordoba we finally met President and Hna Salas and took a taxi to the mission home. I think our taxi driver thought he was a race car driver. Anyways we had a meeting/dinner of empanadas (they are little pockets of amazingness) then I met my compaƱera Hna Tejada and we were off to our area at 11pm. Hna Tejada is from El Salvador, is a Dr, she's 31, has an amazing testimony and is in her last couple months of the mission. She also speaks English because her family lives in NY. I also hope her patience is good because my Spanish is not good.
So We took a bus which was the most comfortable thing I had slept on for the last few days and we traveled from 12:30-4am. So then we got to the apt and we crashed in our beds. Because 6:30 was coming early. Surprisingly though the town was still up and awake I could hear the taxis driving around with their music blaring.
So on Sunday we woke up at 6:30 and got ready because we had a few people to see before church. We walked everywhere which isn't bad because it's a small-ish city called Bell Cella. I met a new member family that I love. There are three kids plus one niece adopted sort of and the grandma lives right next door. They fed us lunch after church it was delicious chicken bread, potatoes and empandas plus jello. As we walked to their house one of the daughters was teaching me Spanish words and I would teach her English. She would laugh when I couldn't pronounce something right. Hahaha like the word for glass in EspaƱol was very difficult for me. Oh I also introduced my self in Sacrament and I was very nervous. It was just a tiny little branch but I just bore my testimony.
The rest of the day we tried to visit people we knew were interested. I mostly just nodded and smiled because they speak very quickly and the accent is different. It was great to be out working though. My companion is great and works very hard to make the most of our time here. It's crazy how prepared these people are to hear the gospel. Oh and did I mention that we have bikes? Hahahaha ya we haven't ridden them because I think one is broken but that should be interesting in a skirt. I'm also getting used to how they greet each other here with the cheek kiss. We only do that with other women though as sisters not the men. Oh and there are dogs everywhere especially in the lower income sections of town. Mom you would love it. The weather is warm here but it cools off at night which is nice. The buildings, like you said are interesting lots of old looking buildings with old furnishings but with the technology of cell phones and T.V. is interesting. But I love the people even though I can hardly understand them. I wish my Spanish would be good ahora (now) but I know I need to be patient and just try my hardest and the Lord will help me beyond my own ability. Honestly I know it's a miracle that I can speak this much for only 2 months of learning.
Oh and I don't know if sending it through pouch is best because the one thing President said is that it needs a customs sticker if it comes through regular mail. But I don't know do what ever you think is best oh and packages need the phone number if they are being sent to the mission home (03543) 420-699. Oh and don't worry about the foot thing. I sprained my foot just barely in the MTC but it's feeling a lot better and the boot is just to help the healing time. Hope everyone is well.
Love Hna Potrie

No comments:

Post a Comment